Earth.fm Adopts Polygon to Fuel Reforestation Efforts
Earth.fm has opted for the Polygon blockchain, as it offers an eco-friendly alternative for running smart contracts.
Share this article
Earth.fm is a non-profit NFT project that aims to use Web3 blockchain capabilities to support the planet and mitigate climate change. Through the sales of generative NFTs, they plan to gather funds for reforestation efforts around the globe, among other social good initiatives.
An integral element for remaining true to the environmental goal of the project was the choice of the blockchain that would be used for creating the NFTs. Consequently, the team has opted for the Polygon blockchain for this venture, as it offers an eco-friendly alternative for running smart contracts. They plan to fully integrate with it by mid-June 2022.
Worth noting is that Earth.fm is gaining momentum after its recent participation in Gitcoin’s Grant Round 13. It received a warm welcome from the community and amassed over $5000 in matched funding, helping them get closer to their goal of launching the platform in Q2 2022.
Polygon for Sustainable Soundscape NFTs
By integrating with Polygon, Earth.fm will provide its users with low costs, sustainability, and powerful technology in a single product. The protocol will take over the minting, auctioning, and distributing of the NFTs to the winning bidders. The compatibility of Polygon with OpenSea is also a big plus, as it will allow Earth.fm soundscape NFTs to be offered on the biggest NFT marketplace in the world.
Essentially, Earth.fm is a generative protocol that mints a unique NFT every three days. Every NFT combines unique digital art with rare natural soundscapes recorded by independent artists in the field. The result is a unique digital work of art that invites us for a session of mindful listening.
The Polygon smart contracts will continuously auction these NFTs, with the proceeds going towards nature conservation and reforestation projects. The robustness of Polygon’s architecture is essential to ensure that these funds are secure and NFTs properly distributed to the bidders.
The team behind the Earth.fm project understands that traditional processes for fighting global warming aren’t working. Collaboration and decentralization are direly needed to make a change and allow everyone to chip in towards a better tomorrow. Hence, the generative NFTs will not only gather funding but also have a positive impact on our respect towards the environment.
The project borrows its concept from the incredibly successful Nouns DAO. At the same time, it’s inspired by the Earth Holder Community created by Zen Master Thich Nhat Hanh.
Regarding the origins of the project, Catalin Zorzini, Earth.fm’s founder said:
“We know very well the ethical implications and challenges of the crypto space, especially for a project aiming to support life on earth. That’s why we’re exclusively using ethical alternatives available in the space and we’re very grateful for the Polygon team and ecosystem of energy-efficient solutions.”
And unlike most of the NFT sphere, Earth.fm is entirely non-profit. They aim to use 80% of the funds from the auctioned NFTs to empower communities and help reforestation efforts. The remaining 20% will be used to fund further development and pay the independent artists for the work they contribute to the NFTs.
A DAO that empowers backers
Ultimately, Earth.fm aims to become a DAO in the near future. Any NFT holder will have voting rights in the organization, and be able to propose charities and carbon sequestration projects through the platform. As this might be an issue as those that can’t afford NFTs wouldn’t be able to participate in the decision-making process, the team is working on multiple solutions to include low-income individuals to also become part of the DAO.